Want to make a difference in your community?
Little changes can make a big difference in your community. Consider implementing some of these ideas on an individual, organizational or community wide basis. Together we can help those struggling with addiction in our community.
Individuals & Families
- Don’t drink and drive. Encourage friends and family to do the same. Always appoint a designated driver or utilize the “safe ride home program.”
- Dispose of unused medication safely. Keep narcotics in a safe place when using them and immediately dispose of them when you are done.
- Do not provide alcohol for teen parties or support underage drinking even with adult supervision.
- Reduce alcohol consumption at public events.
Organizations & Institutions
- Participate in “Parents Who Host, Lose the Most” campaign.
- Implement employee assistance programs that address AODA issues.
- Arrange for a “safe ride” for people attending public events where drinking is involved.
- Assure that bartenders are trained on “Responsible Serving.”
- Reduce the number of drink specials that encourage overconsumption.
- Implement AODA screening and brief intervention.
- Restrict advertising placement to reduce youth exposure to alcohol advertising.
Community & Systems
- Vigorously enforce drunk driving laws and underage drinking laws.
- Support policy and regulation aimed at restricting alcohol and tobacco advertising and sales.
- Increase penalties for drunk driving.
- Implement sobriety checkpoints.
- Require keg registration.
- Restrict alcohol sales at public events.
- Implement alcohol age compliance checks.
- Support a pharmacist/physician narcotic notification program.
- Participate in the Alcohol and Other Drug Coalition